High House Farm Ancient Monument
KCCJ have been lucky enough to be a member of the team in the catering fit out of the original buildings. High House Farm is a Grade II listed collective group of historic buildings originally built between 1552 and 1559 and used as a farm.
Now the site through the vision of Architect Paul Latham has been beautifully and sympathetically restored with the purpose of being an outreach project into the community.
The property includes the house, coachman's cottage, chaise house, stable, granary, barn, workshop, cart sheds, dovecote, and inner and outer walled gardens. Its current name comes from the fact that it is a house "High" on the hill, which commended great views over the River Thames.
It was within the Barn and Cottage that KCCJ were tasked with developing a design with Paul Latham, with emphasis on flexibility for the future. The impressive Barn structure is intended to facilitate conferences, banquets and weddings and needed a kitchen that could provide the caterer with flexibility for different style events and numbers.
The kitchen when not in operation will also double up as a craft room for school pupils. The Cottage will operate as a Cafe offering sandwiches, cakes and pastries and the option and flexibility to offer hot dishes. The project value was £45k.
Working with Main Contractor RG Carter, we had to phase the installation to fit in with progress on site and the delicate restoration of the ancient buildings. The whole project has been conceived and delivered by the Arts Council England, East; Creative & Cultural Skills, East of England Development Agency; Royal Opera House; Thurrock Council and Thurrock Thames Gateway Development Corporation.
The kitchen and cafe were successfully completed on time and within budget.